Business Communication/Food Truck

Hi Maureen,
I have a mobile food truck. I live in an area where there are lots of warehouses and industries that employ hundreds of employees.
My question is, What is the best approach to get permission from these employers to offer Breakfast, Lunch and/or Dinners to their employees at their site?

Hi Arthur,

That's a great question. Make sure you are well-prepared for this new business.

* Do you have all necessary city and state licenses, inspections, insurance, etc. to operate a mobile food truck in that geographic area.

* Do you have a website that tells the story of your business, and includes menus, hours, prices, and other services, such as catering?

* Do you know your ideal client?

* What is your capacity? How many meals can you serve with existing resources (staff, trucks, purchasing, cash flow)?

* How quickly can you/do you want to grow? In what directions do you most want to grow? What are your goals for this marketing campaign?

Answering these questions gives you direction about what types of business to focus on first. Once you identify the companies, find out who approves food vendors at each one.

Prepare a one-page handout that establishes your company as credible. If you've got current testimonials, include the best. Also include your contact information and a sample menu and prices.

As part of your approach, develop an attractive offer as an incentive. For example, restaurants often offer a free food tasting so new customers have a chance to try several dishes. Choose something of value that fits with your budget and your personality, for example: offer a festive tray of food to sample at the company's next staff meeting, break time, or meal.

With your ideal client and your offer in mind, develop three versions of a brief, informative message: phone call, voice mail, and email. In each one, briefly state your reason for calling--to introduce yourself and your company and to obtain permission to operate your food truck at their site.

Don't wing it. Write these messages down and practice them until you find the right words and feed comfortable saying them. Engage a coworker or current client--and get their feedback.   

When you call, deliver your message with energy and with a smile in your voice. That's true even if you get voice mail. Let them know you'll call back at a specific time, and do so.

Send the email version of your request to your contact following your call. Include the content from your 1-page handout. Make sure to include your contact information, so the company can check your credentials.

Also include your special offer. Give them a good reason to say "Yes."

These steps give you the beginnings of a marketing plan you can develop and work on throughout the year.

Finally, learn from  experience. Fine tune call scripts and email messages based on what you learn as you make these calls and contacts.

Good luck!

Business Communication

Maureen A. Jung, Ph.D.

I can answer questions related to: What to do--and what not to do--in business communication. Tips for more effective communication in print, on paper, in person, and via electronic media. Grammar, punctuation, and tone-related questions. How to Say ‘No’ without negativity. How to plan, format, write, and review your messages, letters, articles, etc.

More than 20 years' experience as a communication consultant, business writer, editor, communication trainer, and writing group leader. I've provided communication training workshops, seminars, and writing services to businesses and organizations for more than 25 years, and edited and/or researched 15 non-fiction books for other authors. I've been a columnist and contributing writer to many publications, wrote a successful $15-million health care grant for a nonprofit organization, and wrote two White House presentations.

Florida Writer's Assn.; Clay County Writers, Writing Group Leader; American Business Women's Assn.; Medical Managers of Northeast Florida; Law Office Support (Jacksonville, FL)

Comstock's Business Magazine, California History, Living Blues Magazine, American Archivist, Sacramento Business Journal, Sutter/Yuba Business Journal, California Mining Review, Red Voices, Insurgent Sociologist, Social Forces, Sacramento News and Review, Coastlines, Sociological Spectrum, etc. In 2009, I wrote the book: Many Pathways: Planting Seeds for Communities in Recovery (2009).

B.A. Sociology, Colorado State University M.A., Ph.D., Sociology, University of California, Santa Barbara Fellow of the South Coast Writing Project since 1984, a think tank for writing teachers affiliated with the National Writing Project Post-graduate studies in history and archives, California State University, Sacramento

Charles Spaulding Research Prize, University of California, Santa Barbara (for my M.A. thesis); Theodore Calvin Pease Award, Society of American Archivists (for an article based on my dissertation research); Invited Contributor, California Sesquicentennial Project, for my article: "Capitalism Comes to the Diggings," published in: A Golden State, Mining and Economic Development in Gold Rush California.

Huntley, Mullaney, Spargo & Sullivan, Inc.; Cox Ferrall, Sales Wisdom Now!; Groeteke Resources, Jacksonville; California Mining Assn.; Central Valley Rock, Sand & Gravel Assn.; Sacramento City University; SolutionsWest, ITEX Corporation; Dr. Wilson C. Riles; Capital Program Management; Small Business Resource Center, Inc.; Vanir Construction Management; Prime Time Boxing; California Rural Indian Health Board, Inc.; Trumbull Insurance Agency, etc.