Business Communication/Question based on scenario

When Christy boarded her flight to London in Mumbai, she was seated
in the middle of an unkempt person who apparently had not bathed recently on one side
and a baby  crying on the other. The person in front of her immediately reclined his seat.
She knew she would not be comfortable in making the seven hour long trip under
these circumstances. What can She do to make the trip more comfortable?

Hello Gaurav,

If Christy is uncomfortable in these airline environments, she might want to find a new way to communicate and/or travel.

When you travel by air, expect to find smaller seats, less leg-room, larger fellow passengers, higher costs, and more inconveniences in general.

As to the crying baby and smelly seat-mate, half the people on your plane are probably experiencing the same thing.

In my view, meditation is the best way to handle such situations.

Focus on the things that are really important in life. Such as peace, gratitude, love.

Imagine sending these qualities to your family and loved ones--even to all people everywhere.

Within moments, the negative reactions will fall away.

Allowing this change eases the situation for all concerned. Probably no one feels completely comfortable at the moment. You can achieve that state through breathing and through your intention.

The best part of this practice: you release stress naturally, without even thinking about it. Simply by becoming more present.

Often a shared nod or smile of understanding will go a long way toward creating more tolerant feelings among the passengers in your immediate vicinity. Give it a try.

Finally, offer thanks for the lesson in humility.

Let me know how this approach works for you.

Maureen A. Jung, Ph.D.

Business Communication

Maureen A. Jung, Ph.D.

I can answer questions related to: What to do--and what not to do--in business communication. Tips for more effective communication in print, on paper, in person, and via electronic media. Grammar, punctuation, and tone-related questions. How to Say ‘No’ without negativity. How to plan, format, write, and review your messages, letters, articles, etc.

More than 20 years' experience as a communication consultant, business writer, editor, communication trainer, and writing group leader. I've provided communication training workshops, seminars, and writing services to businesses and organizations for more than 25 years, and edited and/or researched 15 non-fiction books for other authors. I've been a columnist and contributing writer to many publications, wrote a successful $15-million health care grant for a nonprofit organization, and wrote two White House presentations.

Florida Writer's Assn.; Clay County Writers, Writing Group Leader; American Business Women's Assn.; Medical Managers of Northeast Florida; Law Office Support (Jacksonville, FL)

Comstock's Business Magazine, California History, Living Blues Magazine, American Archivist, Sacramento Business Journal, Sutter/Yuba Business Journal, California Mining Review, Red Voices, Insurgent Sociologist, Social Forces, Sacramento News and Review, Coastlines, Sociological Spectrum, etc. In 2009, I wrote the book: Many Pathways: Planting Seeds for Communities in Recovery (2009).

B.A. Sociology, Colorado State University M.A., Ph.D., Sociology, University of California, Santa Barbara Fellow of the South Coast Writing Project since 1984, a think tank for writing teachers affiliated with the National Writing Project Post-graduate studies in history and archives, California State University, Sacramento

Charles Spaulding Research Prize, University of California, Santa Barbara (for my M.A. thesis); Theodore Calvin Pease Award, Society of American Archivists (for an article based on my dissertation research); Invited Contributor, California Sesquicentennial Project, for my article: "Capitalism Comes to the Diggings," published in: A Golden State, Mining and Economic Development in Gold Rush California.

Huntley, Mullaney, Spargo & Sullivan, Inc.; Cox Ferrall, Sales Wisdom Now!; Groeteke Resources, Jacksonville; California Mining Assn.; Central Valley Rock, Sand & Gravel Assn.; Sacramento City University; SolutionsWest, ITEX Corporation; Dr. Wilson C. Riles; Capital Program Management; Small Business Resource Center, Inc.; Vanir Construction Management; Prime Time Boxing; California Rural Indian Health Board, Inc.; Trumbull Insurance Agency, etc.