Business Etiquette/signature block

Question
We are sending a traditional, paper letter.
What is the proper method to send this letter with a signature block that is not actually signed?
Thank you.

Answer
Good morning, Michele.

Thank you so much for your question regarding the signature block. Your question references a paper letter with a signature block that is not signed. As you may be aware, this is standard procedure for many emails that carry a corporate signature block but often no signature. In a paper letter, of course, this is a bit more unusual. I might consider asking someone else to sign for the person. (In this case an assistant, for example, would sign the person's name and follow it with a parenthesis with her own initials. It's a handy way of sending a letter in a person's absence.)

If, for whatever reason, that's not possible, I would simply type the person's name after the letter's close, i.e.,

Sincerely,

Mary Smith

and then follow it by the standard signature block (generally in smaller type). A common signature block formula follows for you.

Name
Company
Address
City, State, Zip Code
Fax Number
Phone Number
Website Address
Twitter Address (if applicable)

I hope this helps.

Cordially,

Vicky Oliver  

Business Etiquette

Vicky Oliver