Business Etiquette/Meetings - How to stay professional without hurt feelings?

Question
Hello,
   I'm with a group that is in the middle of starting up a nonprofit.  We are in a very rural area, one of those towns where everyone knows everyone...who knows everyone's business kind of places.  

We haven't filed for an official IRS nonprofit status yet because we wanted to get a group together and organized and then move to that step.  We are having a really hard time keeping our meetings open but separate the board vs committee vs new people interested in joining....and not sure how to make a separation without coming across uninviting or "hurting" feelings.  At any given time our meetings have only about 5-8 people in them.  We are small but always looking for help or people who want to be involved.

A recent issue came up when we were discussing a fundraiser, and new people who weren't previously involved (on the board or any committee) ended up getting a vote on a split decision.  I think it really came down to no one knowing how to say "ok, thanks for all the input now 'only the board' is going to vote" because everyone felt like this would be rude or leave people feeling unwelcome especially because its such a small group.  In a group of 40 its not as noticeable when you are 1 out of 4 people not "allowed" to have a say.  

Sorry for the lengthy question, I hope it makes sense.   The point I'm trying to get to is we need some guidance how to keep our monthly meetings open and inviting to promote more people to join, but how to politely keep major decisions only among board members.   

We need to get over this hump before many of us feel comfortable filing for official status with the IRS.  I do feel the small town puts a lot of pressure on us to stay very polite and make everyone feel welcome/happy.  It is easy to make someone mad and the next thing you know you have a bad reputation the next day!

Thank you for any advice you can give on the matter.

Answer
Dear Christina:

Thank you for your question.  It is indeed difficult to keep everyone happy when you start a business.  You will have to get tough and set limits.  Decisions that the Board are supposed to make should be done only at closed Board meetings. It's a mistake to invite anyone other than the Board members to these meetings - you've seen what happens.

The next thing you need to have is an outside advisory group - not a Board per se.  This is for all interested parties to vent and express their interest in the organization.  This is voluntary and you need to make clear when someone joins this advisory group that they may be called upon to volunteer their time and effort towards a goal set.

So you can see - two meetings - one private, one public.  That should keep the town folk happy and involved and the important decisions in the hands that they should be in - the Board of Directors.

I hope this helps.

Business Etiquette

Cynthia W. Lett