Business Etiquette/Welcoming Local Government Officials

Question
Our company has invited the mayor of our city to make an appearance and say a few words at a small but significant, in-house function.  The president of our company is scheduled to be out of the building at this time and, therefore, will not be able to personally welcome the mayor to our company nor introduce her at the event.  A staff member will be asked to represent the president in her absence.  My question is this:  What is the  appropriate level the staff member should be?  Manager, director, senior executive?  Someone suggested our public relations coordinator but I don't agree.  I think it should be a more senior level executive or even the chair of our board of directors.  What do you think?

Answer
Trisha,

You are correct. You want to closely match rank and status when possible.  An elected official will always take precedence; however, match rank and status as closely as you can when matching someone from your organization and the elected official.  Denise Anne Taylor  

Business Etiquette

Denise Anne Taylor