Business Etiquette/Taking a job offer knowing you may hop

Hello, Cynthia,

I've been out of work for 5,6 months now, and am currently in the 2nd round interview of a company I really love. However, this company is taking a long time in its recruiting process. In the meantime, another company that I don't like is giving me an offer.

Should I take the latter company's offer, and then jump to the Company A I love if the offer comes? I feel like this will hurt my integrity but I do need income right now. I guess I can sustain myself with part-time job income until that Company A decides to notify me of their decision but the latter company's offer is not that bad and pays much more than a part-time job.

I would love some advice, thank you

Dear Larry:

First of all, congratulations on your search and that it has produced options.  So many people I speak with haven't had that success yet.  My advice to you is both pragmatic and practical.  Take the offer you have in hand, even if you think the better offer may come through.  You need to work.  The better offer may never come through and then you have relinquished a sure thing that would have served your immediate purposes.  Also, you might be surprised when you get to the job already offered that you like it enough to stick with it and make it something that will mean something more to you.

If after you are on the new job and the "better" offer comes along, you will have a stronger negotiation position since you are already employed.  It is common practice in this workplace for employees to consider other offers.  A frank discussion with your boss about your personal and professional goals when the time comes will negate any question of your integrity.  Just offer to stay until they find a replacement or you can train your replacement so the employer isn't left high and dry.  The blow to your integrity hits when you just leave and thus leave your employer in the position of not having anyone to do the job.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

I hope this helps.

Business Etiquette

Cynthia W. Lett

Author of "That's So Annoying - An Etiquette Expert On The World's Most Irritating Habits And What To Do About Them" . One of the few Certified Etiquette Professionals (CEP) and Certified Protocol Professionals(CPP) earned by examination through the International Society of Protocol & Etiquette Professionals ( I will be happy to answer your questions about business or social etiquette, international customs or protocol issues.

Ms. Lett has trained over 100 etiquette professionals worldwide to teach the subject to professionals and children. She has worked in 102 countries and is expert in doing business in unfamiliar cultures. Ms. Lett is principal of The Lett Group since 1983. Professionally, Ms. Lett is the founder of and serves as Executive Director of the International Society of Protocol & Etiquette Professionals headquartered in Washington, DC.

University Club of Washington, DC She is an active member of the National Speakers Association, American Society for Training and Development; Women Business Owners; Professional Convention Management Association; and past member of the American Society of Association Executives; Foundation for International Meetings (Board of Governors 1986-1987). She was elected into Who's Who of American Women; Who's Who of Advertising Executives; 2000 Notable American Women; Who's Who of the World's Women; Who's Who of U.S. Executives and Who's Who of the World.

Ms.Lett is the author of "That's So Annoying: An Etiquette Expert On The World's Most Irritating Habits And What To Do About Them" available wherever books are sold and at She has been featured and quoted in publications such as Successful Meetings, Meetings and Conventions, Meeting News, Business Travel News, Washington Business Journal, Washington Post, New York Times, Regardies Magazine, Wall Street Journal, The Robb Report, Entrepreneur Magazine, The Harvard Business Review, Ohio Business Review, Training and Development Journal, CIO Magazine and others

Certified Protocol Professional Certified Etiquette Professional Certificate: Adult Learning Techniques - George Washington University Master-Legal Studies - Antioch School of Law BS - Restaurant, Hotel & Institutional Management - Purdue University BA - Public Relations / Interpersonal Communications - Purdue University

Distinguished Darden Professor - Purdue University

During 1990, Ms. Lett planned a series of Business Exchange meetings in the Soviet Union for entrepreneurs from the United States who wished to learn about joint ventures with the Soviets in many different fields. She is featured in the PBS special Pioneer Living as the protocol expert. Ms. Lett is also the etiquette expert for the Fine Living Channel and currently featured in Survival Guide Office Etiquette. She is also a frequent expert on etiquette issues for Fox Cable News.