Business Etiquette/Letterhead

Hi Vicki
When should I use my letterhead? It is only for official letters and communications or can the use of letterheads be broadened into the following spheres?
- Printing business initiatives and sales figures for circulation at business / sales meetings
- For circulating other official business information to customers or possible clients?

Dear Kelvin.

Thank you for writing to me about this important question.

Personally, I don't think there is a hard and fast etiquette rule for when to use letterhead. I tend to use mine whenever I wish the matter at hand to be taken seriously. For example, I recently wrote a recommendation on my personal letterhead for a candidate whom I wanted to be considered at a college. I received responses from each person whom I sent the letter to -- so I deemed that to be a success.

I feel that in your case, circulating official business information to customers and possible clients certainly belongs on your company letterhead. It will give the figures a polished backdrop.  

For printing business initiatives and sales figures for circulation at business meetings, there might be a handier way to do that--such as a PowerPoint presentation handout (which would certainly include the same information you would find on letterhead) or a leave-behind presentation kit. If your leave-behind is a folder, one page in the folder might be a letter you write to your sales targets, followed by the pertinent sales figures and charts on other loose pages. In the front of the folder pocket might be some slots to hold your business card as well.

The main thing should be to figure out the most attractive and most elegant way to present the information. I believe that using company letterhead as one piece of that communication will help convey your company at its professional best.

Thanks again for writing to me, and if I can be more specific in any way, kindly do not hesitate to write again.

All the best,

Vicky Oliver
Author, 201 Smart Answers to Tough Business Etiquette Question and 301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions

Business Etiquette

Vicky Oliver

I am an expert on traditional American business etiquette, including dining rules and regulations for the 21st century, making a good first impression (and how to fix a bad one), meeting etiquette, conversational tips, and dressing for success. I also have written about new media etiquette--how to use LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter to enhance your professional reputation. I am not an expert on wedding etiquette or international business etiquette.

I am the author of 301 Smart Answers to Tough Business Etiquette Questions (Skyhorse, 2010) and 301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions (Sourcebooks, 2005). I have received over 301 media mentions on topics pertaining to business etiquette, job interviewing, and style on a budget.

Brown University Club in New York; Trinity Alumni & Alumnae Association

The Investment Professional Magazine; Crain's New York; The Charlotte Weekly;;; The Review Mom; Personal Finance

Brown University, B.A., English Honors; double major in Political Science

How-To Winner, Paris Book Festival; How-To Runner-Up, London Book Festival; Eric Hoffer Award First Runner-Up in Business;"Best Business: Career Book of 2010" in the National Best Books Awards.