Business Networking/Lead Gen for Commercial Construction

Hi Rob.  I handle the marketing communications for my client - a $30M full service GC.  While their heritage is in the Lumber and Building Materials (LBM) industry they have the chops and licenses to broaden their target.  Specifically they'd like to get into the transportation/trucking segment (large warehouses, truckstops, maintenance facilities, etc.) Construction projects in the $1-5M range.  In any event, lead gen is not my expertise and certainly not in construction.  I hear it's very relationship-based.  But how do you even get to the point to start a relationship in a new category for commercial construction?  I would love your input and insight.  Thanks much.

Hi Chase,

I would love to discuss this further in private. That said, here is the approach we would take.

1) Using the Revenue-Driven Marketing model, we would conduct a full assessment on the marketing and sales departments to address alignment issues, and to establish a common language for identifying goals, metrics, and service level agreements. {i.e. MQL, SAL, SQL)

2) We would undergo Target Profiling, in which we would identify Buyer Persona across three tiers; construction researcher, construction influencer, and construction decision markers. Each one of these would require interviewing several people that fit the mold.

3) Next, using each Buyer Persona we would create a Content Map to address each profile at each stage of the Buyer Journey Sales Funnel.

4) Using Marketing Automation software, we would design Workflows for each path along the prospective customer's journey to match the Content Map. We work also add a CRM component to better hand off quality leads to Sales, and to allow Sales to hand quality leads back to Marketing for further nurturing.

5) We would then, create unique Content based on the needs and interest identified during the interview process to begin establishing recognition as an expert within your industry.

6) While we would track all interactions on a month-to-month basis, we would highlight months number 6 & 9 as good times to review what types of marketing channels and content topics are working best, and which are not meeting KPI expectations. We would then adjust the poor performers using the best one as benchmarks.

7) If after a year the poor ones do not improve, we would recommend eliminating them. And, am funds to the ones that are working.

Again, this is the process overview for developing a strategy. Tactics will be determined by industry standards, marketing budget, each Buyer Persona, and churn rate expectations from stage to stage.

Business Networking

Rob Rohena

Online Sales Growth, Advanced Email Marketing, Conversion Optimization, Revenue Marketing, Marketing Automation, Sales and Marketing Alignment

As a former Marketing Director at API Group, Rob has deep B2B expertise and experience leading manufacturers through periods of hyper-growth. As the Marketing Director of DIR Incorporated, Rob focused on making it incredibly easy for small businesses to leverage the power of technology to grow revenue. The author of “Harvard Business Thoughts: Social Media,” and “The Content Marketing Journey”, Rob has written for several industry publications, and has taught marketing courses at the collegiate level; including the University of Notre Dame - Mendoza School of Business. Rob holds a Digital Marketing Certification from Hatchbuck, an Inbound Marketing Certification from Hubspot, a BS and AA from Indiana University.

American Marketing Association Elkhart Chamber of Commerce Kosciusko Chamber of Commerce St. Joseph Chamber of Commerce Michiana 40 under 40 - Alumni Indiana University - Alumni University of Notre Dame, Mendoza School of Business - Adjunct

Porch Professional Blog - August 12, 2015 - Building A Foundation For Online Lead Generation Success Business 2 Community -July 22, 2015 - Google Phantom Updates Impact Small Business Web Content Michiana Art News - Volume 1, Issue 23 - December 2, 2011, Art Marketer's Corner: Why are Mobile Advertisers saying 'Social What'? Leading Business Magazine, Greater Elkhart Chamber - August 2011, page 14: What Google+ Means To Your Social Media Strategy

Associates of Arts, General Business Studies -Indiana University Bachelors of Science, Labor Studies - Indiana University

Common guest presenter from DIR Incorporated for University of Notre Dame, Mendoza School of Business on topics related to Digital Sales & Marketing. 2014 - National Hispanic Real Estate Association Speaker - Leveraging Social Media at your Realty Agency. 2013 - United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Speaker - Growing SMB's via Inbound Marketing 2013 - American Marketing Association of Michiana - Board Member 2012 - Named by St. Joseph Chamber of Commerce to Michiana 40 Under Forty Class of 2012 2011 - Guest Educated and Speaker: REBARCamp SB - "PR-I-SM", and LeadGen With Craigslist" 2011 - Authored Harvard Business Thoughts: Social Media, Published by Simply Media 2011 - Workshop Facilitator at Elkhart Chamber of Commerce - "Online Marketing for Non-Profits" 2010 - Indiana Social Media Summit: Best Campaign Nominee 2010 - Workshop Facilitator at Elkhart Chamber of Commerce - "Advanced Social Media for Business" 2010 - Guest Speaker at Disney's Swan Lake Resort for the NIA 55th Annual Convention

Advanced Engine AMG Bolting Solutions At Home Realty Group Brunk AJP Corporation Cardinal Communication Strategies CXR Company Eco Surface Solutions 5 Diamonds Cooling & Heating Kemp Construction Kemp Electric Moore Custom Trailers RAME, LLC Refinery Coffee Company Solar Energy Systems LLC UHI Worldwide Union County Seating, Inc. University of Notre Dame