Business Process Reengineering/BPR

How can a company determine which business processes need to be reengineered?
Are downsizing, continuous improvement and reengineering basically the same activity?

A company can determine which business processes need re-engineering ONLY after drafting out a brief layout of your current Business Process.
Your business process should be identified first in the form of a workflow diagram and then converted to a process diagram. A process diagram consists of Rows and Columns which is termed as Swim Lanes.

Each Swim Lane has to be read from Left to Right order. Each task has to be allocated within each rows column. This is where u can scope the time taken to execute each task and the person responsible for it.
Once you have all the tasks drafted under a Process, you will get to know the total number of hours OR time the entire process takes to reach from Execution to Completion of all the tasks involved.

Now to determine which business processes need to be re-engineered should be considered at this stage. You need to identify all the tasks that take the most number of hours to achieve completion in order for its successor task to take over. Here you need to identify how u can bring down processing time by either adding extra resources, or machinery or abandoning unwanted resources.
This will bring down your entire processing time frame upto a certain level.

Downsizing plays a hands in glove method for abandoning tasks. In todays world Downsizing is mostly happening because of excess employment cost OR because of heavy Computerization. I don't believe in down sizing just for process improvement, because I feel a human is more intelligent than the computer. Therefore I feel a human should be made use of in a Process Improvement Plan for making Final and Emotional Decisions, where as a Computer should be used to execute those Man Made decisions(Plans) at a greater speed and accuracy.

Continues process improvement happens on a routine basis which gives you a clear picture and control on how your organization is functioning whereas Process Re-engineering happens when you want to change the entire process, subprocess or tasks within a process radically to have better control on redundancy and faster or rather more efficient delivery schedules.

So in short, Continues improvement which is BPM and making changes to the BPM is termed as BPR (Business process re-engineering) are a little different. Just two different cousins from the same family of discipline.

Hope I've answered your questions.

Best regards,
Manish Batola.

Business Process Reengineering

Manish Batola

Can provide help/insight on Business Process Management, Process Re-Engineering and the Applications Environment that support this beautiful concept. Retrieving process performance information from modeling or monitoring phase and identifying the potential or actual bottlenecks and potential rooms for cost savings or other improvements and then applying those enhancements in the design of the process thus continuing the value cycle of business process management.

24 yrs in the Software industry with 18yrs completely dedicated on more than 200 Various Microsoft Access Projects from different Industry Sector[s],I have got to know loop holes to speed up a business process. My expertise will ONLY encourage you to add Software Technology to improve your business process[s].

Worked in various multinationals catering from Aerospace, Oil & Gas etc. I have currently implemented Business Process Re-engineering practise in the Oil & Gas Industry.

I'm also a Microsoft Access Expert, providing Access Solutions WorldWide and also a volunteer for the category on "Using Microsoft Access" in this website.

-MSAP (Master in Software & Applications Programming) -BPRE (Business Process Re-engineering Engineer) -SQAE (Software Quality Assurance Engineer) -STIE (Software Testing & Inspection Engineer) -Project Engineer (Software Development) -Certified MRP Implementor

Catered to various clients in the following industries • Oil & Natural Gas (BPM/CRM/Access Development) • Sales / Marketing (CRM) • Automotive (Automobile Dealers) • Indenters (Import/Export) • HealthCare / Hospitals • Hotels 3* & 5* • Restaurants • Construction Co’s (Project Billing) • Clubs (Concept Selling) • Shoe-Chains • Solicitors/Lawyers • Call Centers • Aerospace (Preventive Maintenance) • Travel & Tourism • Computer Vendors • Manufacturing • Music Shops • Education • Data Warehousing