Business Software/Bespoke Application Software Development

Question
Hi John,

What would a company need to do in preparation for outsourcing bespoke application software development?..in this case an hospital looking to outsource the development of a Patient Records and Appointment System.

Thanks

Answer
We perform software customizations, integrations, and proprietary software development every day and I can say that each project is different.

You have some unique issues regarding development in this case due to the nature of the information - you will need to ensure the server data is encrypted, that the web communications to it use https, and that you are using a reputable firm to perform the development.  The bottom line - you have a large liability if the information is not kept securely.

I would start with off the shelf solutions (existing commercial software) first and evaluate several products to see if any of them come close to your needs.  At the minimum, it will help you define your development efforts better, and you just may find something that can be customized, which should save serious money.

The biggest issue we see is that firms significantly underestimate how much custom software will cost to develop and maintain.  It is easy to be off by a factor of 100% - 500% on costs if features and functions are not very well defined.

I would look for assistance from a consulting firm to help you define your needs if you don't have someone in-house who is well versed in your systems and computer software.

There are far too many factors involved to give you a full breakdown on how to proceed, but hopefully this information will help.

Business Software

John Harris