Business & Technical Writing/If and When

Question
Hi, i found out the solution. I hope my answer to my question is correct. "Already" has happened in time, when "if" (possible with negation as well)is a conditional. It's more proper to use "when," that coordinates with time. Thank you.

Answer
That is true. However, it complicates the path to answering the question you posed. Had you removed the word 'already' from each sentence, you would have seen that there was no substantial difference between them and that either was correct. The problem was the adverb 'already'.

Your takeaway here should be this: AVOID USING ADVERBS. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT.

Please do me the favor of completing the rate-the-expert e-mail you'll receive on the heels of this reply. Your ratings--and your comments--help me do a better job of helping folks like you who ask such interesting questions. Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation.

Warren

Business & Technical Writing

Warren D. Miller