Business & Technical Writing/captials

Question
I have a sentence that was given to my granddaughter to write the correct capital word. The sentence is: Lee ate two butter sandwiches. Lee is already capitalized in the sentence and my granddaughter thinks the only word that could be capitalized is
butter. Would you capitalized the word butter or would you put none in the blank next to the sentence?

Example: Lee ate two butter sandwiches.      _________________

Thank you for the help,
Irene Godbee

Answer
Well, capitalizing "Lee" is correct both because it is a proper noun and because it begins the sentence. Nothing else in the sentence should be capitalized, so I think this is a bit of a trick question. There is no reason to capitalize "butter" as it is not a proper noun.

Hope this helps.

Business & Technical Writing

Dan Smith