Business & Technical Writing/What's wrong with the sentence?

Hi Dan,

I know this sentence structure is wrong.

Go to school and you must bring your notebooks with you.

May I please just a get a good explanation why?

Thank you.

The ideal construction would be as follows:

Go to school and take your notebooks with you.

That makes the two parts of the sentence the same kind of construction and unifies the subject. In the other sentence, the two phrases are really independent phrases, but more importantly, they are different kinds of construction. The first part is a command, and the second merely describes a condition of attendance. They don't go together well.

Hope this helps.

Business & Technical Writing

Dan Smith

I have been a professional writer and editor for more than 30 years, taught speech and English composition at the university level, and have developed speech and English composition courses and seminars for businesses. I am experienced in editing a wide variety of materials, especially business, scientific, and other academic papers. I am familiar with all the major style guides.

I have edited any number of graduate papers and other technical materials in such advanced fields as clinical psychology, civil and electrical engineering, and semiconductor fabrication. I have extensive experience in working with non-native English speakers.