Busy Cooks/Freezing smoothies in mason jar

I would like to know if I can freeze smoothies in a mason jar and if so how long can I leave it in the freezer (a week at most). I'm not sure if you know about canning and if so would I have to use a pressure canner before putting the smoothies in the freezer.

Thank you

Hi Aylesha, technically you could freeze a smoothie, but I don't think I would do it because the texture after it's been in the freezer wouldn't be quite right. It would probably get kind of frosty and the ice crystals would be upleasantly large, so although it would be perfectly safe to eat it wouldn't be the same as it was before you put it into the freezer.

As long as you're putting food straight into the freezer, there is no reason why you would need to use a pressure canner. I don't can myself, but pressure canners are typically used to make products shelf-stable (safe to keep at room temperature). Anything that's going straight into the freezer doesn't need to be sterilized first because bacteria doesn't grow in the freezer.

I hope this helps!

Busy Cooks

Becki Robins

My specialty is freezer cooking for expectant parents. I can answer questions about freezer cooking in general (what will/won't freeze well, how long can something be frozen for, what is a good freezer recipe for a particular ingredient or cuisine etc.) and I can also help expectant moms put together a freezer cooking plan based on their own situation (energy level, trimester etc.)

I have created and tested 100s of my own freezer recipes, and I implemented a freezer cooking plan for myself during each of my three pregnancies. After the birth of my third child, I had enough freezer food stocked up to last until my daughter was nine months old.

Fiery Foods & Barbecue; Air & Space Smithsonian; Metro Newspapers; E-Magazine;;; Canter Magazine

College educated; bachelor's degree in magazine journalism. Self published author, freelance writer and former magazine publisher.