Busy Cooks/Freezing smoothies in mason jar

Question
Hello
I would like to know if I can freeze smoothies in a mason jar and if so how long can I leave it in the freezer (a week at most). I'm not sure if you know about canning and if so would I have to use a pressure canner before putting the smoothies in the freezer.

Thank you

Aylesha

Answer
Hi Aylesha, technically you could freeze a smoothie, but I don't think I would do it because the texture after it's been in the freezer wouldn't be quite right. It would probably get kind of frosty and the ice crystals would be upleasantly large, so although it would be perfectly safe to eat it wouldn't be the same as it was before you put it into the freezer.

As long as you're putting food straight into the freezer, there is no reason why you would need to use a pressure canner. I don't can myself, but pressure canners are typically used to make products shelf-stable (safe to keep at room temperature). Anything that's going straight into the freezer doesn't need to be sterilized first because bacteria doesn't grow in the freezer.

I hope this helps!

Busy Cooks

Becki Robins