Buying or Selling a Home/home buyer/ home owner

Question
I have recently purchased a mobile home from my Aunt. Upon moving in to this mobile home... (I paid $ 5,000.00 down and owe only $1,000.00).. i found out the central heat and air does NOT work. I called my Aunt ask her to fix..... explain.....  She sent someone out.... that man told her, " the heat/air unit has been messed with since he has been there when she lived there.." So, she nor he has fixed it. I paid $150.00 a month.... i owe $450.00 and Currently i still have No heat and air. Does she have to fix this heat/ air problem????? thanks

Answer
Hi Sabrina,

To answer your question, it would depend if you and your aunt had any sort of real estate or purchase contract when you bought the home from her.  A contract would state if you had any legal remedies in some sort of an inspection clause.  Typical real estate contracts allow for purchasers to inspect the residence before closing on the purchase sale of the home and request the seller to make any necessary repairs.  I'm afraid that if it was a "hand shake deal", I don't foresee any legal remedies for you to have her repair the heat and AC.  A local attorney would be able to give you the most accurate answer to your question though.

Good Luck!

Buying or Selling a Home

Jay Denit