Buying or Selling a Home/Lost house due to miscommunication at agency

Long story....we've been looking for a bigger home for over 2 years and finally found one that would work for us(price, sqft, tax etc). In this case there are multiple parties involved(sellers agent, relocation company, buyers agent, loan officer). We submitted an offer higher than listing price and the next day we were told by our agent that the offer was accepted(out of 2 offers) but they would not accept a contingency offer(we needed to sell our home as well).  We already had 2 offers on our home so we felt comfortable with moving forward without a contingency.  My agent told me that the sellers needed a signed purchase offer on my home and a pre-approval letter with no contingency before we could move forward. Also, the original purchase offer I signed was incorrect because it needed to list the Relocation company as the seller and I needed to sign another one.  I am still under the impression that our offer is  accepted.   So I get all that paperwork completed that night but the next day I am told that they were still considering both offers for the house we wanted.  MY agent did not tell me this.  She only told us that our offer was accepted and to get our house sold before we could proceed with our own purchase.  

Well, the sellers decided to go with the other offer because they didn't think we were serious enough to go with.  Turns out they never received the pre-approval letter OR the purchase offer on our house to prove we were serious.  AND our offer was never officially accepted/signed like our agent told us it was.  So the seller agent is blaming the buyer agent and the loan officer.  The buyer agent is giving us incorrect info and we don't have a house to move into in 6 weeks.  Oh, and both agents work for the same agency.

I know officially nothing was signed on the sellers end but we were told by the agent representing us that it was accepted and we did everything we were told to do!  What can we do about this??  Is there some kind of legal/ethical violation here?  My wife doesn't sleep anymore.  It's really tense in my soon-to-be-vacant home.  

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi Tom,
Wow! I'm so sorry that happened to you! That's very disappointing! I notice you are in Texas. I practice in NY. Laws vary from state to state so my best advice to you is consult your attorney.  I'm not a lawyer and so cannot advise you about legal rights. I hope you don't give up your search for a new home and I also hope you don't believe that all agents are incompetent based on your experience with this particular agent! I can't speak for why your full info was not communicated but I can say that in my experience most agents really do care about doing a thorough and professional job. You may want to try a Keller Williams agent in your town. They have some of the best trained agents around. Ask the team leader to have an experienced agent work with you to help you in your new search. If you contact me at I would be happy to hook you up with a caring professional experienced agent.
I'd be happy to help,

Buying or Selling a Home

Laurie Stephenson

I can answer questions about Residential Real Estate in Upstate NY's Capital District area, from Albany to Lake George. I specialize in Saratoga Springs and the surrounding towns. I am a Buyers and Sellers Agent. Check out my website at

Residential Buyers and Sellers Agent

Greater Capital Association of Realtors, (GCAR) New York State Association of Realtors,(NYSAR) National Association of Realtors, (NAR)

Associate Broker

Million Dollar Club

My goal is to make the process of buying, selling, or owning a home efficient, enjoyable and rewarding for you. See what my clients have said about my real estate services... *Comments: Laurie was enthusiastic and supportive through the whole process. I would highly recommend her! JAC - Stillwater *Comments: My wife and I recently purchased our home with Laurie Stephenson. This purchase was difficult because we were buying a home from 3000 miles away. Laurie worked with us for several months prior to the purchase. Then, when my wife and I arrived to look at homes, she helped us get right down to business. Laurie's knowledge and expertise pertaining to the Saratoga community allowed my wife and I to find a house that was honestly, the exact home we were looking for. Laurie took our situation, our hopes and dreams, and helped us put them into perspective and find the home that was just right for our family. Laurie's dedication to our family was invaluable throughout the entire process and continues on past the closing of our home. My family and I appreciate everything that Laurie has done for us. We got the luck of the draw with Laurie, and couldn't have asked for a better real estate agent and friend. Sincerely, Randal& Shanna Thorpe *Comments: One of the most refreshing qualities about Laurie is she goes to great lengths before even showing a house to make sure her clients are qualified and she understands exactly what there looking for. Her unique ability to understand people and listen is why she's so successful. She puts her client's best interest first and assures they can buy and afford the house for years to come. As a Mortgage Broker responsible to the banks and the clients we have a perfect record and many happy homeowners. Thank you Laurie!!! Jim Teele