Buying or Selling a Home/as-is selling

Question
Hello.  First of all thank you for your time.
Here's my question- My husband and I are going to try to sell our house to my sister in as-is condition, because we don't want to put too much money into the place and she's fine with it the way it is.  I was wondering if banks will give her a loan for the house if it's not up to code?  (There are foundation issues, amoung other smaller things).  We;re selling pretty cheap so I don't know if that matters, $55, 000.  We are in Illinois.
Thanks again :)

Answer
Hey, Nina.

One never has to bring a house "up to code" in order to sell it. That's because it would be impossible to do without destroying the house and rebuilding it. Every code book has a little paragraph in it that says something like "As long as the house continues to be used for its originally intended purpose it does not have to be brought up to code as the codes change."

With that said, many banks won't provide a loan on a house that has certain issues, and those issues depend on the type of loan -- VA, FHA, etc. Known foundation issues are usually one of those issues, as are certain electrical issues, roof issues, plumbing issues.

The most important thing for your sister to do is to have a home inspection by the best home inspector she can find. She needs to know exactly what she is getting in an "as is" sale. Whether or not you agree to make repairs doesn't really matter, but I would hate for something to happen down the road that causes an unrepairable rift between you and your sister.

Illinois is an interesting state because most of your paperwork, disclosures, etc., during a real estate transaction are handled by attorneys whereas most other states let the Realtors handle everything. I would suggest contacting your preferred attorneys and loan agent, asking them very specific questions about what you and your sister want to do, and following their advice closely.

Hope that helps.

Russel

Buying or Selling a Home

Russel Ray