Buying or Selling a Home/washer/dryer

Question
my house is for sale with the washer/dryer and under contract. The washer got broken yesterday and i would like to replace them with a different brand washer/dryer set. Since the house contract doesnt say what brand washer/dryer this house is going to sell, i am thinking it should be okay to replace them. What do you think of it? Thank you.

Answer
Hi David.

Thank you for your question. On the surface of a real estate contract my first inclination is to agree with you. However, if your original set is a higher end set, the buyers might argue that the contract would imply the set that is on the premises at the time of the contract is the set they were asking for. This would be a very reasonable argument.

To avoid any back and forth concerns: My suggested solution would be to fix the broken washer instead of buying a new set. I would make this suggestion to my sellers. It is a perfectly acceptable way of doing business and there are zero apologies to be made about doing it. You promised the washer and dryer. One would assume they'd be in working order. And, they would be... The cost of the fix is most likely MUCH less expensive and this would leave no room for the question. You do not owe the buyers a new set. So, instead of spending an estimated 800.00, why not 100.?

If you're thinking you'd like to take the old set with you and replace your current ones, or you just don't feel good about having the repair made, I would suggest you speak with your Realtor. He/she will speak with the buyers' agent and the two can negotiate for an agreed upon dollar limit. Who knows - the buyers may want the opportunity to pick a different color or something. They may even want to do the shopping themselves, keeping the limit in mind.

By the way, David, you're very kind and show a lot of integrity for having the concern. Good for you!

Buying or Selling a Home

Kathryn Hisert; Realtor