Buying or Selling a Home/Cooperatives

Question
i can buy a new home in a cooperative for $130,000.Monthly fee would be $1,792.00.Would this be a wise investment?Thanks!

Answer
Randy:

Let me ask you a question.

I happen to be shopping for a car.  The lease payment is $350.  Is it a good deal?

I bet you're thinking, well how can I answer that question?  He doesn't even tell me what kind of car he's buying.

Your question is the same.  There's not enough information in the question to answer it.

Questions to determine valuation include:
1) Location
2) Space
3) Condition
4) Floor plan
5) Amenities
6) Risk

And lots of other things that can't be done in e-mail.  In your case, you need to look at the co-ops financials, and those of comparable co-ops, to understand whether the fee is reasonable, short-term, long-term, reflected in the price or not.  

My advice is to find someone who is familiar with co-op financials to help you uncover the valuation in this unit.  A local real estate pro with co-op experience is your best bet.

Buying or Selling a Home

Matt Heisler