Buying or Selling a Home/Taxation: Lease/Purchase on Home

"I own a home that is paid in full. I have been offered a sales agreement where the party agrees to a 20 year lease purchase agreement.

Due to the new sale of home taxes for 2013, will I be charged any of the 2013 Surcharge tax on this transaction or would I be charged this surcharge on each month lease payments... or is there another scenario as to the taxes.

Thank you.

Hi Russ.

Thank you for your question. It's a good one to be asking! Unfortunately, due to my ethical boundaries as a Realtor, I am not able to answer this for you.  We are directed to suggest you seek the advice of a qualified tax professional.

However, as a Realtor, I would also suggest to you, if you haven't already, you get the advice of an attorney regarding the contract.  The hundreds you spend today may save you thousands, or hundreds of thousands, down the line.  All too often this step is skipped, much to the chagrin of the ones who thought everything was air tight!

My suggestion is you employ a tax attorney in your area. You can get your tax question answered and your contract reviewed at the same time.  

Best wishes to you, Russ!

Buying or Selling a Home

Kathryn Hisert; Realtor

Everyone deserves an answer! My rounded background will provide you with information beyond ‘just’ buying and selling. I can answer questions regarding short sales, foreclosures, deed-in-lieu, home staging, vintage home related concerns, most mortgage related questions, and divorcing couples’ housing options. I am a research oriented individual who strongly believes in connecting all the dots and providing as much, or as little, information and communication my clients want or need. My expertise is in San Diego and Santa Clara Counties.

After 25+ years in the Financial industry, Sales and Marketing, I came to the real estate industry as a mortgage loan agent. From 2002 to 2010 I was my clients' Realtor and loan agent. Since 06/10 I have been strictly a Realtor.

N. San Diego County Assoc. of Realtors California Assoc. of Realtors National Association of Realtors

CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert) CREDS (Certified Real Estate Divorce Specialist)