Buying or Selling a Home/used mobile home

Question
I'm going to be purchasing a used 1981 artcraft 2bd 1bath 14x60 mobile home next month at 6500. I spent earlier this year going thru home purchasing process with then boyfriend so I know how all that works.  I guess a mobile home is like just a Car title exchange.  Anyways there are no papers like the house process . Should I tell the seller to do a couple things prior to buying it?  Like I feel because it's cheap,  that you don't go thru what you do for a mortgage but it's still 6500 and I had a buddy who lives in a mobile home check over it with me the basics and he said it will  do.  But you think I should tell the seller that before handing over money, I want to do a final inspection after everything is moved out.  I didn't check the windows yet but I will include that water /plumbing/aplliances are functional.  Can I include that he should change heat tape on pipes or is that a maintenance issue I should too.  Also I want to tell him to make sure furnace filter is clean.  And appliances and house are clean.  Are these things okay before doing the transaction?

Answer
Hi Sarah.

Your question/s are good ones regardless of what the purchase is, mobile home, condo/townhome, single family home or manufactured home. Ultimately, the answers come down to three things:
* What does your contract allow for?
* Is the price fair to both parties with or without the fixes?
* Are you ok with whatever happens because you asked for the fixes to happen?

If your Purchase Agreement, aka as the contract, allows for you to inspect and then ask for fixes and in the timing for each of those things aligns with your plan - you can do them. I would strongly suggest you do the best you can to do the inspection in the BEGINNING of the purchase process versus waiting for everything to be moved out. Heating, windows, water pressure, appliance functioning, etc., should remain the same until after the purchase. If you wait until everything is moved out the seller will have very little incentive to do anything other than sue you for breach of contract if you do not complete the transaction because the knobs on the stove don't work the way you'd like, or something similar. Home inspectors do these type of inspections all the time with furniture in the home. If you have viable concerns about the home at this price, I would recommend you hire a professional home inspector early in the process and request things only fixes that will allow for the deal to still be a good one for BOTH parties.

If the price is fair to both parties after the seller goes through the time and effort to do the above items, and the contract allows for it -- you can ask for those things to be done. However, if you are already getting a good deal, my personal feeling is you should not ask for more to be done. I cannot make comment on whether or not 6500 is a good deal or not in your area as I have not seen the comparables, the actual home or it's location, etc. The only thing I can say is, 6500 seems like a very reasonable price for a home regardless of any of those things, unless it is hanging off a cliff, doesn't have heat / running water / windows, etc.

Once a each party has agreed to price and terms of a purchase and both have acted in good faith, my personal opinion is that it is unwarranted and unethical to ask for additional things to be done to the home UNLESS the seller has hidden things from the buyer during their right to inspect period, usually the first 10 days of the closing of escrow process. So, if you ask for 'extra' stuff after this period and the seller gets annoyed / insulted / or changes their mind for whatever reason -- are you ok if they cancel the contract? If you're ok with the possible consequences of asking for fixes after agreeing to a price for it's current condition, and you're past the period of time it was ok to ask for such things, AND you think asking for them is warranted because the SELLER is getting such a great deal -- you can ask.

Your contract most likely calls for, or the custom in the area calls for, that a home is in at least 'swept clean' condition upon the seller's exit - nothing more. Basically, this means all debris should be gone. But, things like the oven don't have to be squeaky clean.  

I hope this helps, Sarah. Best wishes and congratulations on your new home!
Kathryn

Buying or Selling a Home

Kathryn Hisert; Realtor