Buying or Selling a Home/Selling a rental home with depreciation

Question
My husband and I have owned a rental home (paid off) for many years.  We were recently making out our will.  My husband said if something were to happen to him first that I probably couldn't get more than $50,000 out of this rental home that is worth at least $110,000 because he has taken so many depreciations on it.  Is there any truth to this and why would he take these depreciations?  Not clear on what's going on here.  Please explain if you can.  Thank You!

Answer
Hello Becky - The issue here is that when you take depreciation you postpone paying tax on the depreciated amount, which catches up to you when you sell, along with the capital gains tax. I recommend talking to estate planing and "1031 tax exchange" professionals. The objective is not to look at your net worth as single individual assets, it is rather to look at your total estate in whole and talk to these specialists who can show you additional strategies and avenues to protect your hard earned assets, including the possibility to reduce or eliminate amount you may 'think' you owe (based on the depreciated value). Having been through a number of real estate sales caused by the death of one of the owners, or both, I can share with you these families could have saved thousands and hundreds of thousands through smart planning, which they did not do. In the end estate planning is the best legacy plan you can have for yourself, your husband, and your beneficiaries. However, the ignorant thing is when families think they can do it themselves amid the state and federal death taxes, and probate issues. A Will in itself is not enough. Please understand, I am a REALTOR and not an attorney nor tax specialist, therefore you must find these answers from licensed individuals in there respective fields of study. Thank you -  

Buying or Selling a Home

Todd C. Menard, GRI, rCRMS, REALTOR, BROKER