Buying or Selling a Home/Abstract Deed

Question
My brother-in-law agreed to buy 20 acres from my father last year and took the abstract deed to all the land to his attorney. He was suppose to pay $20,000.00 last year and $20,000.00 after the first of this year. He has not returned the deed. Paid any money or signed any papers. Can he change the deed without my father signing anything? My father is 90 years old.

Answer
Hello Sir, very good question.

My first thought is, was anything in writing, i.e. an Offer to Purchase and Contract?

In real estate transactions, the seller conveys a new deed, drafted by an Attorney, the seller then signs the new deed  in front of a notary public, the deed is then taken to the Register of Deeds for recording.  

You can check on this by going to the Register of Deeds in your town, and see who the property owner is. Some Counties have this online.If not online , go there and ask for help. Most county register of deeds will help you, you can also go to land records in same county.

You might consider speaking with a real estate Attorney, and seek the Attorneys advice if this does not help you.

Good luck

Buying or Selling a Home

Marvin Bobbitt