Buying or Selling a Home/Canadian resident - (wife American/perm. res. of Canada right now) want to move/buy in US

Question
This gets tricky...I am American and my husband is Canadian. We have been married for 33 years and going strong. We initially lived in Canada for about two years then moved to Washington state for about 25 years. We both lived and worked there as well as my husband also worked/commuted in Canada. In 2007 we moved back to Canada where he was demanded to give in his green card and I became a permanent resident. We have sold our house and want to move back to Washington. My husband now receives a pension that he will get no matter where he lives. We found a house we want but they are asking for financing aproval before we can even make an offer on the house. It will be no problem to reapply for my husbands green card, but we want to take advantage of getting this house right now. We have a fair amount of cash to put down but this finance thing is causing some difficulty because we reside in Canada. Any suggestions of how to act on this as soon as possible in order to go forward with the move and home purchase?

Answer
Try this idea, Barbara: Since you live so close to Washington state, why don't you approach a Washington state bank and tell them what you are trying to accomplish.

I have seen where the proximity of business to another country's border makes the possibility of extending additional loans for doing business very feasible. Nothing certain, but what would it hurt to ask? Especially since you are an American and Canadians are buying American properties all over the U.S. True, most of them are probably paying all cash, but since you have a "fair amount of cash" that could turn it in your favor. Try it. It couldn't hurt. I do wish you well.

Dick Dennis
dixiedee13@aol.com

Buying or Selling a Home

Dick Dennis