Buying or Selling a Home/Purchase with non-finalized permits

Question
In 2009 I bought a starter home not sold as-is and with nothing disclosed. We had a home inspection with minimal notations. Two weeks ago we had an electrical fire in the crawl space and I was lucky enough to be home and put it out with minimal damage.
An inspector came and pointed out several things including drainage pvc pipe as supply line, electrical code violations through out the crawl space and at the panel. The house was remodeled in 2004 and researching the permits not a single one was finalized. This was not disclosed to me at all during the purchase of the home.
Knowing the defects now, can I sale the home with out fixing the problems?
Is someone other than myself liable for the correction of the code violations?
Besides the previous owners not disclosing was this information supposed to be researched by one of the many companies that are involved with the sale?
Thank you for your time
Daniel

Answer
You resell that house at your risk, Daniel. The house was sold to you as a fraud and now you want to reproduce that fraud and hope the buyer doesn't take the matter to the attorney general (like you should have done). Obviously, Virginia is rather lax with their real estate sale laws. You should not have purchased that house in the first place without having the property fully inspected FIRST. Further, once you were talked into it, you should have taken the real estate agent (if there was one) and the seller and the inspector to court. There is no statute of limitations for fraud. And because of that you still may be able to take the matter to court and maybe the local district attorney. Sit down and talk with a real estate attorney. He/she'll advise you what you should do besides what I have suggested here. I do wish you well.

Dick Dennis
dixiedee13@aol.com

Buying or Selling a Home

Dick Dennis