Buying or Selling a Home/Query on Rentals


Good day
I had the following questions if one wants to rent out ones town home without a licensed realtor.
1. What are resources, tools and sound do it yourself ways to conduct tenant screening and background checks on your own?
2. Can I list the property on the MLS myself if I am not a realtor?
3. Is there any detailed research (how to do) on how to screen tenants and what type(s) are the most likely to pay and not to pay as well as what types are most likely to take care of your property?
4. What are examples of clauses and strategies one can add to an agreement to get the tenant to have an interest in caring for the property?

Hi S. Mahabir,
1.  That depends on the state that you are in.  I don't know about Florida.  Also it is probably going to cost you to do screening and background checks.
2. No, only a real estate agent who belongs to the MLS can list on it.
3.  You can screen them but remember it is illegal to discriminate. There may be research on it but I don't have it. That's probably going to be proprietary for rental managers which is a realty specialty.  You don't have enough money to get me to do it.  If you have multiple properties I can see learning to do it yourself if that is pretty much going to be your business.
For one or two properties I doubt if it makes economic sense.
4. A big Security Deposit and a documented signed walk through on condition when you rent it with pictures on everything. Believe it or not, when I was renting, one of my requirements was the name, address, and telephone number of the lessees Mother and I checked her out and called her before renting.  That was my number one referral.

The difficulties in doing this yourself is why many folks prefer to leave it to the professionals. I hope this helps you.

Buying or Selling a Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Sharon Huneycutt, Realtor, Associate Broker, GRI, e-PRO


A lot of people who want to move to the mountains don't really realize what it might involve. For instance, here in North Georgia, if you want a mountain view, you may have to drive up very steep roads. Will you have well water (That's usually good!)? Do you speak septic tanks? Have you considered that if you want really want to get away from it all, you'll do it on a gravel road? What's difference between a Log home and a Log Sided home? How can I tell? Who takes care of the house when you're not there? Where can you stay to check it out? This is a very popular area for second homes and investment properties or when you finally decide to get way from it all, I can find your perfect property. I can answer questions on North Georgia Mountain living, housing, land, amenities, and activities. We handle a lot of foreclosed properties in our office so I have become a Certified REO Specialist. REO means Real Estate Owned and is the industry name for a Foreclosure. It refers to "owned by a bank or other corporate entity". If it involves an area of expertise I don't have, I can probably tell you what kind of an expert you do need.


We've had property in the Ellijay area for over 10 years. My husband, who is a Civil Engineer and Appraiser, and I built our own log home. We researched log homes and North Georgia for three years before choosing Ellijay. Because of the building experience and being married to an engineer/appraiser, my real estate experience is a bit more extensive than average. I also am an education freak believing that the more you know, the better off you are. My husband and I both like photography, so we drive and hike all over the mountains looking for pictures.

MHA, CMA, Licensed Realtor, Associate Broker, e-PRO, GRI, Certified REO Specialist. Realtors are required to have 24 hours of continuing education every 4 years. In the last three years, I have 180 hours so far!

©2017 All rights reserved.