Buying or Selling a Home/Deposit on house!


I put a $1000 down on a house and found out a drug dealer lived near by so I asked for my deposit back before I signed a purchase and sale agreement ,now the seller is upset and does not want to give my deposit back. The home is in Massachusetts, Please help me out , Thank you ,Jim

You obviously did not have a Realtor helping you to buy the house, Jim. If you did, the Realtor would not have taken your deposit without your signature on the dotted line. Realtors keep the deposit in their office's trust account or have you sign the check to a title company, escrow company or attorney.

Since you say you gave the deposit to the seller before you signed anything, you will need to take the seller to small claims court. But first you will need to send him a certified letter asking for the return of the money. If after 30 days he still has not sent you back the deposit, then you must go to the local county clerk and ask what you must do to file a small claims suit. From that point on just follow the directions you are given in your filing the small claims suit. If you win the suit you will also win the cost of filing the suit. I do wish you well.

Dick Dennis

Buying or Selling a Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dick Dennis


With more than 41 years as a real estate broker, I can solve most any problem presented. If I can`t, I do my research. Problems with mortgages, trust deeds, foreclosures, odd ways of conveying titles. Most any good Realtor can answer questions satisfactorily, but I answer questions that most cannot. Also, ask about my hard-copy newsletter, The Landed Gentry. It can also be sent to you via PDF.


Solving real estate problems for 37 years.

National Association of Realtors

Publishes The Landed Gentry, guest writer in Who's Who in Creative Real Estate, First Tuesday, Financial Freedom and many newspapers

e-Pro Realtor, Certified Distressed Property Expert, Who's Who in Creative Real Estate

©2017 All rights reserved.