Buying or Selling a Home/how much down

I will be retiring in about 2 years.  We do not own a house now but want to buy one in retirement.  We can afford about $150,000 and can afford to pay most of that money down.  But I heard that it is better to have a big mortgage for tax purposes, etc.  Can you provide any advice?
   Also I would like to buy a house in the country with acreage but my wife says as we get older it will be too much to keep up with grass, etc.  Can you give any help in what kind of a house we should be looking for?
   Also are there any areas of the country that are more retiree friendly than others?  Our children are in Phil. and Wash, DC but we are unsure how long they will be there as they move around.

Hi Don,

Well I am not a tax account,but if you are retired and have no earned income, the tax break may not do what you want it to do... contact a CPA and go over your retirement accounts and income and see what makes the most sense to you.

where you buy and what you buy is personal... some like lots - some like little.. depends on your lifestyle...

It may be hard to pay that note at 85 years old... free and clear may be better for you... Good luck

Buying or Selling a Home

Connie Wildasinn-Broker,GRI,CPRES,RealtorŪ

Broker,CPRES,GRI,RealtorŪ, Investor since 1979. Buying or Selling Residential and Income/Investment Properties, How to understand the process, how to negotiate through the transaction, What to Look for - But more importantly 'What to lookout for!', How to tell if the time is right - or hold on and wait. Why "Not to listen to your friends and even your family members", Who really has your best interest at heart?. Understand why any market is a good market and how to spot a good investment for you! If you are looking in California.. check out my website and if you need assistance in a neighborhood I don't service, I will locate a local agent to that area who actually knows their profession and can assist you in your needs!

4th generation Realtor in the real estate business, I have helped for over 2 decades clients buy and sell, I am the owner of a local brokerage in the Los Angeles /Long Beach area, and have been a top producing agent in the area since I became licensed. Working through a deal is different to every client, no two people or deals are exactly the same. Knowing how to bring professional advise to the table with clear and concise understanding of real estate world. I can help you handle your buying, selling and investing, managing a 1031 Exchange, working with Equity Sales,Certified in Probate Sales (one of a handful!), Pre-Foreclosure, Regular and Short Sales there is little that I have not seen come across my desk over the decades!

Publications Member, Broker Agent Magazine, Long Beach Business Journal, Long Beach Press Telegram, Signal Hill Tribune, Grunion Gazette, All Experts, Zillow - Lead Agent - Advise Expert, Truila - Advise Expert,

Broker-owner, CPRES - Certified Probate Real Estate Specialist, RealtorŪ, GRI,e-Pro, SSG-Short Sale Certified

Managing Broker for WGroup Realtors 19 years running top selling agent in Long Beach, South Bay area California. Top Producer 11 years straight Re/Max - Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, C21, Realtyworld.

upon request = or check out our website and check the Testimonials section!