Buying or Selling a Home/closing cost and hiring attorney

Question
Hi, Sharon: I am SELLING my house in Georgia by myself. A potential buyer called, saying she was ready to submit an offer. In addition, she would pay closing costs.  My questions are: 1. besides the cost of hiring an attorney, what other costs should normally be paid by a seller? 2. It is not so necessary for a seller to hire an attorney as a buyer, for the former has nothing to lose when he has received the funds. Is that correct? 3. What's the price range for hiring a real estate attorney?
Thank you in advance!

Answer
Hi Aaron,
1.  If you don't have a Realtor, this is why you should have a Real Estate Attorney (One who specializes in Real Estate).  Realtors use the GAR (Georgia Association of Realtors) contracts which have been developed over the years to protect both the Buyers and the Sellers in real estate transactions.  If you do not personally have an attorney representing you, then that attorney is representing the Seller and doing what is best for them.  The costs can be paid by either party depending on what the contract says specifically which is why you want to control the contract.  Since you are the Seller, the more items the Buyer pays, the better for you. If the Buyer presents you with a contract, you do not have to accept it as is.  Remember you can make a Counter Offer, which is why you need a Realtor or a Real Estate Attorney to guide you.  A one size fits all Contract Form that you buy at an office supply store won't do you justice.
2. No, see Number 1.
3. Even within Georgia prices can vary but probably ~$300 - $500.

Aaron, Good Luck with your sale and please obtain guidance.  Real Estate sales can be pitfalls for the uneducated and uninformed, both Buyer and Seller.  

Buying or Selling a Home

Sharon Huneycutt, Realtor, Associate Broker, GRI, e-PRO