Buying or Selling a Home/Discrimation?

The house I'm interested in purchasing is located in a small town in Maine. I've been approved for financing by the bank. One of the issues is the house is currently owned by my ex-husband. I have been trying to set up an appointment to see the house and have not given the real estate agent my last name. However, being a small town, my ex-husband somehow found out I was the one interested in the house and told the real estate agent that he did not want to sell the house to me. Would there be any legal recourse for me? Can he refuse to sell me the house like that?  Thank you for any information you can provide.

The question you are asking is really a legal question, not a real estate question, but in general, a seller can refuse to sell his house to anyone.  Discrimination of a protected class (race, disability, etc.) does not apply to sellers, only to agents and agencies.

However, you can probably call an attorney who can buy the house on your behalf - anonymously.  You would need to get a real estate attorney - probably from another town - explain the predicament and your need for secrecy.  They can probably help you from there.  If you go this route, you will need to not tell ANYONE until it closes and the deed has been signed, or you risk the seller doing damage to the house and ruining it for everyone.

Matt Heisler

Buying or Selling a Home

Matt Heisler

I can answer questions about buying or selling your home, and questions about the market in Massachusetts, with detailed answers if you ask about my specific area in Mass, Metrowest. I can help with Investment property and the basics of financing. How to construct deals and how to find bargains and how to protect capital. Land, home sales, rehabs, fix and flips, income property are places where I could be able to assist you. I can also answer basic questions about foreclosure, short-sales, 1031 exchanges, and basic questions about how the economy and credit markets are functioning and how that affects you.

My company sells residential real estate in Metrowest, and we have had a been selling real estate in the area for 20 years. My Blog can be read at Real Estate Sales in Massachusetts

Southborogh Rotary

Vanderbilt University BA

My client list is private.