Buying or Selling a Home/Tax on sale of house

Question
Hello Hans,
My brother and I inherited my Dad's house om Long Island in 1996. It was appraised at $225,000 at that time. We recently sold the house for $400,000, but the fair market value was 499,000.
Will I need to pay a tax on this?  Thank you!

Answer
Hello Kathy,
Thank you for your question.

The tax basis value of your dad's house would be as of the date of his passing. Then the difference between that amount and the selling price less any expenses related to selling the house would be the potential taxable amount.

Your real estate closing lawyer will review all the selling expenses prior to closing.

Hope this helps.
Hans  

Buying or Selling a Home

Hans Weber, Licensed Broker Associate