Buying or Selling a Home/First time homeowner wants to know - Is there any help for us?

Question
I am writing on behalf of my son and daughter-in-law, they bought their first home in Sept 2012, they were in their home for 3 months when news broke out that the State was opening a state run facility 500 yards behind their house that houses terminally-ill criminals and sex offenders. They find out that it was widely known what was going when they bought the house but of course they didn't know. Is there a law that protects them? Was the Realtor obligated to disclose this information to them? What should they do? They can't sell, they need to get out of the house because they have 3 children. Is there any real estate laws that protect them against such horrible circumstances? I appreciate any information you can provide us. Thank you very much. Lori Peterson

Answer
My guess is that the sellers knew about that state-run facility, Lori, which is why they sold the house. There might not be any law that covers that, but I'm positive the real estate agent knew about it and you might ask that question of a real estate oriented attorney who knows exactly what most likely happened.

Something like that usually comes out in the media several months, maybe even a year or two before it actually happens. Also, the local board of Realtors certainly knew about it. There's too much evidence that something like that is coming into a neighborhood.

Some states have documents that must be signed by the buyer that negative structures or businesses may be within a certain distance of the house being sold, for example, maybe a dam, or an explosives manufacturer or something else negative. It may take some investigation, like checking with the local newspaper, to find out. Now you can see why I suggested talking to a real estate attorney. I do wish you well.

Dick Dennis
dixiedee13@gmail.com

Buying or Selling a Home

Dick Dennis