Buying or Selling a Home/Interior Trim

We live in New England and have a house that was built in 1992. The interior trim is all wood stained. It is in good condition but we are considering selling the house and we noticed that newer homes seem to all have painted trim. We were wondering if we should leave the stained trim or if we would have better luck selling the house if we painted all the trim white? Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the question!

My 1929 brick Tudor had original natural wood trim, doors and wood floors when I bought it.  So warm and charming and old fashioned! Good for another 100 years!

Then I went on a business trip.  When I got back my wife had had all the wood trim and doors painted bright and cheerful now.

Anyway, my point is it is a matter of taste.  

As long as it is in good condition many buyers like it natural.

Good luck with your sale.  The market is improving now.

Buying or Selling a Home

Hans Weber, Licensed Broker Associate

I am able to answer questions related to buying or selling residential real estate in New York. There are many questions buyers and sellers have about the process of buying or selling a home that they are afraid to ask or that might seem too simple to ask. For instance: in a house, why do some doors open in and some doors open out?

Licensed real estate agent in New York State in 1988.
Serving buyers and sellers as a full time occupation since 1988 with over 300 successful residential real estate transactions.

National Association of Realtors.
Westchester County Board of Realtors.

Graduate of Pace University in 1988 majoring in business and minors in taxation and computer science.

Consistently one of top sales awarding winning agents for Coldwell Banker in Westchester County.