Buying or Selling a Home/Want so desperately to own our first home!

Hello, and thanks for your time. Our family wants so badly to have our own place. We currently pay $400.00 a month for rent. My main reason for wanting it to happen right now is my oldest son will start school soon, and I want him to start where he'll hopefully finish one day. My credit score is 594 and my husband's is 584. We're not trying to buy a huge house, or even a new mobile home. My ideal plan would be to buy a used mobile home for around $15,000, we would out it on family land that will be ours, later. We both have decent jobs, and a decent income. I have an immaculate budget, and I have figured it, so if we could get one, for  as much as $30,000 we could have it completely paid for in 5yrs or less. My  question is....... Where do I start? Mobile home dealers, I'm sure a bank won't help us. Our credit scores are low primarily, for not having any credit. There are some hospital bills from when I was pregnant, I had insurance, that should have paid for it were in the process of getting that taken off! I'm at a loss, any help, or advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hello Sabrina,
First, there may be some additional expenses you have not taken into account. If you are putting it on family land, you may need a well and septic tank or hook up to a water source already there and an existing septic tank. If the septic is existing, is it rated to take the additional flow?  Next if you do not own the land, you will need a legal document drawn up by a Real Estate attorney (Another fee)giving you permission to put the mobile home there without cost to you. Never, Ever do anything without legal rights particularly with family!  The unexpected always happens and I could tell you horror stories until next Christmas about folks who did things without legal standing.
Next keep in mind that a mobile home only does one thing and that is depreciate and a used mobile home only does it faster. A mobile home is a losing proposition and you can never get your money back out of it. I know that you want your own home badly but my advise to you would be to go to your bank and talk to the mortgage lender about what you can do to improve your credit score, what kind of loans might be available to you, save up some money and then buy a real home. A mortgage lender, even if they can't help you now (Don't think they can't help you until they tell you that.)should be able to put you on the right track.
I know of one couple that it took about a year for them to get their credit scores to the point where they qualified for a USDA loan and bought a house.
Think carefully about what I've told you and good luck to you.  

Buying or Selling a Home

Sharon Huneycutt, Realtor, Associate Broker, GRI, e-PRO

A lot of people who want to move to the mountains don't really realize what it might involve. For instance, here in North Georgia, if you want a mountain view, you may have to drive up very steep roads. Will you have well water (That's usually good!)? Do you speak septic tanks? Have you considered that if you want really want to get away from it all, you'll do it on a gravel road? What's difference between a Log home and a Log Sided home? How can I tell? Who takes care of the house when you're not there? Where can you stay to check it out? This is a very popular area for second homes and investment properties or when you finally decide to get way from it all, I can find your perfect property. I can answer questions on North Georgia Mountain living, housing, land, amenities, and activities. We handle a lot of foreclosed properties in our office so I have become a Certified REO Specialist. REO means Real Estate Owned and is the industry name for a Foreclosure. It refers to "owned by a bank or other corporate entity". If it involves an area of expertise I don't have, I can probably tell you what kind of an expert you do need.

We've had property in the Ellijay area for over 10 years. My husband, who is a Civil Engineer and Appraiser, and I built our own log home. We researched log homes and North Georgia for three years before choosing Ellijay. Because of the building experience and being married to an engineer/appraiser, my real estate experience is a bit more extensive than average. I also am an education freak believing that the more you know, the better off you are. My husband and I both like photography, so we drive and hike all over the mountains looking for pictures.

MHA, CMA, Licensed Realtor, Associate Broker, e-PRO, GRI, Certified REO Specialist. Realtors are required to have 24 hours of continuing education every 4 years. In the last three years, I have 180 hours so far!