You are here:

Buying or Selling a Home/Attorney Require Signature..


Hello Ted,
My mother passed away and left the house to her four children - me and my three brothers.  We are selling the house and they say I need to be there in person with the attorney to sign the closing documents, but that's 400 miles away and I am loath to go that distance just to give my signature.  They did say that I could make one of the brothers my power of attorney and he could sign for me, but that would pose the same problem as I would need to be present for that as well.  Is there any arrangement that can be made so that they can close without my physical presence?
Thanks for your time,

You can have the documents sent to you and sign them in front of a Notary, available at most banks and attorneys offices, and then send the documents back.
Have the closing attorney fed ex the docs and include a fed ex return envelope for you to send back.

Buying or Selling a Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ted Lewis


Can answer most any residential real estate question and more specifically questions about South Florida Real Estate. Massachusetts Real Estate Broker, Massachusetts Construction Supervisor and Florida Real Estate Broker. Have personally owned and sold hundreds of homes and at one time owned and managed 100's of apartment and well as did condominium conversions.


Homes, condos, construction, real estate law, apartment ownership. Can refer buyers and sellers to capable agents in South Florida -- am not actively seeking clients for my own account.

Many education courses in regards to Real Estate and Banking. Attended Harvard and Princeton Universities.

©2017 All rights reserved.