Buying or Selling a Home/Buying only a portion of land from neighboor

I purchased a home and was in need of more land, therefore my next door neighbor offered to sell me part of his land. My first question is that allowed in the state of Texas? Can someone sell a part of their backyard? My next question is, what would be the next step? Should an appraisal be done before the written contract is drafted?
Thank you

Hey, Lidia.

As far as I know, real estate can be sold like that in all 50 states and D.C. In fact, in many states, adverse possession of a neighbor's property, and paying taxes on that property, can result in someone simply walking away with your land, something that is done quite often when fences are placed on someone else's property.

For such a transaction as this, though, I would recommend a good real estate attorney. Let him guide you through the whole process. It's not difficult but it can be extraordinarily troublesome in the future if not done properly.

Buying or Selling a Home

Russel Ray

Through home inspections, I provide an education about real estate. I'm one of those rare home inspectors who has been involved in real estate in many different capacities: as a Realtor (in Texas), as a property investor/flipper, as a teacher, and as a marketing expert (for Realtors and home inspectors). I believe that my experience as a Realtor and property investor provides me with a different viewpoint about home inspections in that I work for my Clients, but when there are other people involved in helping my Clients, then I firmly believe in helping them, too. That includes Realtors (both the seller's and the buyer's), repair professionals (e.g., plumbers, electricians, etc.). If I can get all the players (seller, seller's Realtor, buyer, buyer's Realtor, and repair professionals) playing in the same sandbox together to accomplish goals as a TEAM (Together Everyone Accomplishes More), then I believe I have succeeded in my job as a home inspector. My profession is, in my opinion, much more than simply documenting the condition of a property and then take the money and run. I am also a rare breed in that I don't believe that one inspection fits the needs of all Clients, and I have led the industry in understanding that fact. For example, the goals of a property investor are far different than the goals of someone buying a property to live in. The goals of a seller (a pre-listing inspection) are far different than the goals of a buyer (a pre-purchase inspection). To that end, I offer 14 different types of inspections, e.g., STANDARD, LIST, RENTER, BASIC, MAINTENANCE, SPOT, and more. I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt to all professionals in whatever industry they represent until they prove me wrong.

Over 42 years in all aspects of real estate--building homes, renovating homes, inspecting homes, Realtor.

National Association of Certified Home Inspector, Better Business Bureau of San Diego

Graduate of Texas A&M University; College Station, Texas