Buying or Selling a Home/Leak in the roof

Question
Hello,
I am purchasing a condo, the homeowners association is responsible for fixing roof leaks. Upon inspection by me, we saw a stain in the closet ceiling from a water leak. We asked the owner about it and they never noticed it, so they fixed the ceiling. The realtor told me to ask the property management company if a leak had ever been reported, they said no. I signed a contract and it is "as is" in Florida, after the inspection period has ended. So now they tell me they are not responsible for damage from the leak. we are set to close on Dec 5th. Wasn't the homeowner required to notify the HOA to come and repair the leak, since they are responsible to fix it?

Answer
You would think so, Susan, but it is not always so. Just have the agent who represented your interests ask the HOA that same question. Different HOAs have different rules. You have to realize buying a condo is not always like buying a regular house. In case you don't get an answer you're satisfied with, have your agent ask an attorney who specializes in HOAs and condos. I do wish you well.

Dick Dennis
dixiedee13@gmail.com

Buying or Selling a Home

Dick Dennis