Buying or Selling a Home/Question about New Home Builder

Question

My husband and I are building a new house in Apex, NC with the builder HHHunt.  The builder has asked my husband and I to provide them a copy of our loan application even though we put a deposit on the house and showed them our pre-approval from the lender.  We do not want to give them a copy of the loan application, as it has a lot of our personal information on it.  Is the builder legally entitled to a copy of our loan application?

Thanks,

Megan

Answer
Hi Megan,

Very good question. The question is, is it a custom built home or spec? Keep in mind there is a huge difference. Understand, most Builders want to make sure you are going to get the loan,so they can close the home sale.Remember, this is how  they make a living, no loan, no sale. With that said. Here is what I would recommend. Your loan application is very private and has a lot of personal information on it, just like you said.

I would either have your lender write him a letter or call and confirm to the Builder you have made loan application and are qualified. Sharing the loan application, I have never heard of, and I have worked with many builders.

Just have your lender handle it. They are very familiar with this process., Tell lender to get in contact with your Builder and assure Builder what is going on, but you will not supply a copy of loan app, due to personal private information on it, such as S.S. number.

Hope this helps.
If I can be of further help please let me know.Have a nice weekend. Good luck with home building process.Thanks for your question.

Marvin Bobbitt  

Buying or Selling a Home

Marvin Bobbitt