Buying or Selling a Home/Buying Homes

I watch various real estate shows and I noticed that when some people are purchasing homes, they have to undergo a review by the residents.  I do not understand why that would be the case if you are purchasing your own home.  How can people vote you out?

For example, (not necessarily a good one) but Lindsey Lohan was planning on moving into a  building and the homeowners (I believe that they were homeowners) voted that she could not move in.  That kind of thing is amazing to me.  How is it that others get to determine whether or not I can buy a home in their building.  And what is the criterion?  What if they don't like my color or something?

Thank you very much

Hello Kee,

Thank you for your questions and concerns!

Discrimination is illegal in residential real estate purchase process.

The situations you are describing are likely for the purchase of an apartment in a cooperative building.  In such cases there is required board approval for new owners or renters.  The management and board will check the new person's credit/income/references.  If the that is ok then the board will schedule an interview.  During the interview the board will ask questions.  I own a coop and they asked me if I was a wild partier? I said no, that I work all the time.  After the interview the board will discusss the interview and decide whether they want the person in the building as a neighbor.  They may well not want the publicity and trouble someone like Lindsey Lohan would bring to the building.

Hope this give you some direction?

Buying or Selling a Home

Hans Weber, Licensed Broker Associate

I am able to answer questions related to buying or selling residential real estate in New York. There are many questions buyers and sellers have about the process of buying or selling a home that they are afraid to ask or that might seem too simple to ask. For instance: in a house, why do some doors open in and some doors open out?

Licensed real estate agent in New York State in 1988.
Serving buyers and sellers as a full time occupation since 1988 with over 300 successful residential real estate transactions.

National Association of Realtors.
Westchester County Board of Realtors.

Graduate of Pace University in 1988 majoring in business and minors in taxation and computer science.

Consistently one of top sales awarding winning agents for Coldwell Banker in Westchester County.