Buying or Selling a Home/Aluminum vs Copper Wiring

Sir....I am buying a home that was built in 1968 in Pensacola, FL and being sold as is.  It has mostly aluminum wiring with some copper wiring in the outlets.  The price of the house was $69,900 & I offered &64,300 which the seller has accepted.

This is what the seller's son is saying since he is a contractor:  I can get my electrician to rewire the whole house for $5500.00 OR I can get him to put “JUMPERS” and replace all of the outlets with copper plugs for $600. The jumpers will reduce the heat from the aluminum wires as well a hazard risk. Im am checking with the code officials to see if “JUMPERS” will be sufficient for where the house is located. Thanks,

In your opinion...Is this a safe way of doing the house???

What else should I ask?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey, Nikki.

Sorry about the delay in answering you. The AllExperts system is not sending me notices in a timely manner right now. I've informed them of the problem. My answer here might be totally useless to you because of the AllExperts delay.

I don't know the size of the house so I don't know if $5,500 is an appropriate number.

When he says "jumpers," I'm pretty sure he's talking about "pigtails." Pigtails is an acceptable way to deal with aluminum wiring. For more information, see the results in these two Google searches:

Most electricians want to re-wire the house because that makes more money for them.

My main concern here is, do you trust his electrician? Sure, the price is right, but what happens when that electrician is opening outlets and finds additional problems? Does he ignore them since he's only getting $600, putting you and the home at risk?

I think the best thing for you to do is quickly get at least one quote from an electrician of your own choosing. Preferably three. Then you can negotiate from a better position.

Hope that helps, and I hope my answer isn't too late to help!

Buying or Selling a Home

Russel Ray

Through home inspections, I provide an education about real estate. I'm one of those rare home inspectors who has been involved in real estate in many different capacities: as a Realtor (in Texas), as a property investor/flipper, as a teacher, and as a marketing expert (for Realtors and home inspectors). I believe that my experience as a Realtor and property investor provides me with a different viewpoint about home inspections in that I work for my Clients, but when there are other people involved in helping my Clients, then I firmly believe in helping them, too. That includes Realtors (both the seller's and the buyer's), repair professionals (e.g., plumbers, electricians, etc.). If I can get all the players (seller, seller's Realtor, buyer, buyer's Realtor, and repair professionals) playing in the same sandbox together to accomplish goals as a TEAM (Together Everyone Accomplishes More), then I believe I have succeeded in my job as a home inspector. My profession is, in my opinion, much more than simply documenting the condition of a property and then take the money and run. I am also a rare breed in that I don't believe that one inspection fits the needs of all Clients, and I have led the industry in understanding that fact. For example, the goals of a property investor are far different than the goals of someone buying a property to live in. The goals of a seller (a pre-listing inspection) are far different than the goals of a buyer (a pre-purchase inspection). To that end, I offer 14 different types of inspections, e.g., STANDARD, LIST, RENTER, BASIC, MAINTENANCE, SPOT, and more. I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt to all professionals in whatever industry they represent until they prove me wrong.

Over 42 years in all aspects of real estate--building homes, renovating homes, inspecting homes, Realtor.

National Association of Certified Home Inspector, Better Business Bureau of San Diego

Graduate of Texas A&M University; College Station, Texas