Buying or Selling a Home/Mobile Homes

My wife and I rented a trailer before we had kids and loved it. Now with the kids grown up, we are thinking about buying a mobile home.
Are there any major pros and cons to consider? What about maintenance, and moving it to another trailer park? Thanks!

Hello Bud;
As a REALTOR I do not deal in mobile homes unless they are no longer mobile (in other words, they are attached to a permanent foundation).  Mobile homes, in the US are not considered to be the best option for home ownership and values are not as high as permanent residences that are stick built.  However, they are considerably less expensive; as a rule, well built and subject to rigorous quality control standards.  If you are on a very limited income, you will need to remember that the additional costs to move the home and then pay for home association dues, neighborhood amenities (if you move it into a mobile home park), connection fees, etc all should be factored in.  I would strongly consider the energy efficiency and insulation standards in the mobile home vs. a stick built home as well.

The longevity of a mobile home is not the same as a site built home. If you buy the land upon which the home is moved then you have something that you can will to the children but if it is in a mobile home park, you really don't have much to leave to them years down the road.  There is not much equity in the home 15 to 20 years down the road.

I hope that this helps.

Warm Regards,
Jessica Bryan
EcoBroker, Managing Broker of House to Home Realty Services

Buying or Selling a Home

Jessica Bryan

buying and selling process such as:
General questions from first time buyers
How to market a home
Why choose a REALTOR
How do I find a REALTOR
Should I consider buying or selling without a REALTOR--how much can I save
Should I remodel or move
How much can I expect to gain by fixing up my home before selling
Helpful tips when selling
Helpful tips when buying
finding a good mortgage loan
what is the difference between banks, mortgage bankers, and mortgage brokers
Questions from the general public, people thinking about getting their real estate license, newly licensed.
Fellow professionals who have interests in networking and how to get started
What is a market evaluation and how does it differ from an appraisal what are the different loan programs
services a REALTOR can perform
when to use a lawyer
when to use escrow
what are the regional differences in the buying and selling process
what is the MLS and how does it work
how can the layman access information on the web--listings and other information
These are just a few of the questions. I can suggest that if I am unable to answer a question I will refer the inquiry to a source that can.

Anyone who is in this business and who dedicates oneself to professionalism has continued to take classes and along with it,additional credentials, awards and honors. I can list a host of them, but my greatest accomplishments happen to be those of getting first time buyers (who didn't think they could afford to buy a home)into a home of their dreams. The look on their faces when I hand over the keys is worth all of the hard work.