Buying or Selling a Home/mobile homes vs stick built

Question
QUESTION: What is the difference in valuation between a mobile home and stick built home? I don't mean the actually money as in a stick built being worth $50,000 and a mobile home being worth $10,000. What I mean is why such a big DIFFERENCE in valuation? What makes a mobile home worth so much less? Both get just as old over time?

ANSWER: Hello Joyce,
To answer your question, typically a mobile home is the least expensive type of detached housing that you can purchase.  In order to keep the price down, everything in it is the least expensive item that the builder can possibly use and still have it hold together.  Because of these economies, unfortunately deterioration occurs at a much faster pace in a mobile home than it does in a stick built home.  An item is less expensive for a reason and in the case of a mobile home that reason is that the materials used to build it are far less robust than those used in a stick built home and therefore wear out far faster.  In other words the mobile home just depreciates  far faster than a stick built home.  A further problem is that they do not have good liquidity because there are a minimal number of lenders who finance mobile homes. In other words, you might have to find a Cash Buyer in order to be able to sell your mobile home.
If you have any further questions, please let me know?

QUESTION: well on my contract, the loan is transferrable. With approval of course. I'm hoping that will make it sell faster. What do you think?

Answer
Hello again
It could help, but it might not.  One of the questions would be what the rate of the loan is? Is it an old loan with a high rate or were you charged a high rate because you didn't have a credit history when you bought it?  Another question would be what is the credit worthiness of the Buyer?  A further question is, are you asking more money for it than just the mortgage, or do you just want someone to take over the mortgage? Each situation is going to be different.  It's going to depend on the individual situation whither it helps or not.

Buying or Selling a Home

Sharon Huneycutt, Realtor, Associate Broker, GRI, e-PRO