Buying or Selling a Home/Purchase agreement question

Question
It states on the purchase agreement section J. line 123 that the Buyer MAY terminate this agreement if the property is subject to building or use limitations by reason of the location, which materially interfere with the Buyer's intended use of the property.

Does this mean the buyer can back out if their intentions were to rent the home and found out they cannot due to the HOA rules/restrictions?

To me...the key words in this are "by reason of the location, with materially interfere" but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Answer
Hello Michelle,
What you are asking is actually legal pertaining to an Indiana Contract with which I am not familiar.  I would presume that Indiana contracts have a Due Diligence clause/period during which time you are suppose to be searching out all possible flaws that would cause you to not want the property.  I would also presume that if you did not investigate and back out of the contract within this period, and then later backed out of the contract,that you would probably forfeit your earnest moneys.  It's not the Sellers fault if you failed to do Due Diligence.  This is not something which is hidden, or difficult to find out. Also if you have a Buyers Agent, not the Listing Agent, that you ask him/her about this.  This illustrates why it is advisable to have a Buyers Agent. I could be totally wrong and Indiana may not have Due Diligence in which case, I think the above probably would apply. But it still goes to a legal problem.

To find out for sure, go see an Indiana Real Estate attorney with your contract in hand.  Make sure you see a Real Estate attorney, not just any attorney.  Attorneys vary in their specialties as do doctors. I hope this helps to get you going in the right direction.  If you have any further question that you think I might be able to help with, please let me know.

Buying or Selling a Home

Sharon Huneycutt, Realtor, Associate Broker, GRI, e-PRO