Buying or Selling a Home/buying/selling

I am trying to figure out the logistics of relocating to another state, when my current house is paid for, I am in no hurry to sell, and it won’t be a problem to buy another house first and then sell this one, if needed.

I live in ND in a paid for house. I want to relocate to TX, but am in no hurry. I can live in this house till it sells, close, immediately have my stuff shipped to TX, put  most of it in storage while I house hunt there.

Or I can clean this house out, store my stuff here and rent something cheap here for a few months while I wait for the house to sell.

I can buy something in TX, close, move my stuff, get settled, put this house on the market and come back to close when this house sells. (This is probably the simplest – one thing at a time.)

I am so confused! How do other people do it when the old house is paid for and there is no hurry about selling it?

Thank you,

Jo Anne

Hi Jo Anne,

What a wonderful situation you find yourself in with a paid-off house!

If you are in no hurry as you say and don't need to sell the ND house to purchase a new one, it may serve you best to go ahead and find one in Texas first.  Prices in most markets is rising and if you need a mortgage on the new house those rates are poised to rise as well.  

Once you find the new home in Texas and make the move, then put your ND home on the market.  You won't even have to likely go back to ND for closing; about half of my customers actually close in absence using overnight mail, etc.  

Good luck in this new adventure!  

Buying or Selling a Home

Kerrin Kostelic, FL Broker Associate, GRI, AHWD

Let me know if you need help with any of following type questions: How to choose a great agent? Why do I need to hire a Realtor? What does "agency representation" mean in Florida? How does a Realtor get paid? What do I need to do to get my house ready for sale? How important is pricing in getting my home sold? What if I'm under water in my current mortgage? How do I go about getting a loan? Please keep in mind that I cannot give legal nor financial advice as I am not licensed for either of these activities. In addition, real estate law changes from state to state; I am licensed in Florida only so that is specifically my area of expertise. If it is a more general real estate question, feel free to ask away!

I have been a full time real estate licensee in the State of Florida since 2000 and received my brokers license in 2005. I have helped 200+ clients and customers buy and/or sell a home, condo, or vacant property since that time. I continue to educate myself in my field taking numerous courses on financing, negotiating, contracts, Fair housing, construction, all in order to become a better professional.

National Association of Realtors Florida Realtors Pensacola Assn of Realtors Leadership Pensacola class of 2008 Gulf Coast Search and Recovery, K-9 Inc -- volunteer, handler in training, & Secretary/Treasurer

BA in Social Sciences/Language Arts with Elem. Education certification--Univ of Michigan, 1993 Real Estate licensee in FL -- Oct 2000 to present Graduate, Realtor Institute, Nat'l Assn of Realtors -- 2004 Broker Associate, FL -- 2005 At Home with Diversity designation, Nat'l Assn of Realtors -- 2009

International Diamond and Sterling Societies, Coldwell Banker for high production and volume levels. CB United, 100% Customer Satisfaction rating Military Relocation 100% Satisfaction rating "Award of Excellence" from for Outstanding Internet Marketing