Buying or Selling a Home/relocating

I am trying to figure out the logistics of relocating to another state, when my current house is paid for, I am in no hurry to sell, and it won’t be a problem to buy another house first and then sell this one, if needed.

I live in ND in a paid for house. I want to relocate to TX, but am in no hurry. I can live in this house till it sells, close, immediately have my stuff shipped to TX, put  most of it in storage while I house hunt there.

Or I can clean this house out, store my stuff here and rent something cheap here for a few months while I wait for the house to sell.

I can buy something in TX, close, move my stuff, get settled, put this house on the market and come back to close when this house sells. (This is probably the simplest – one thing at a time.)

I am so confused! How do other people do it when the old house is paid for and there is no hurry about selling it?

Hi JoAnne,

Sorry it took me so long to respond to you, but I just came back from vacation late last night!

Anyway, it sounds like you have an ideal situation, and you can do whatever makes YOU feel the most comfortable.

Personally, I prefer to move completely out of a house and get it all spiffed up before putting it on the market. I would just leave a few nice fake potted plants in the main rooms of the house (living room, dining room, master bedroom) to give the rooms some dimension (rooms show smaller when they are completely empty) and some decorative things in the kitchen and baths to make it a bit more cozy. That way not only does it show to its best advantage, I don't have to worry about keeping everything perfect all the time.

Of course to do this you will need a great listing agent that will go by at least a couple of times a week to check on the house and make sure all is in order. A good agent will do that as a normal part of their service.

But there is no wrong answer here. It can be done any way that makes you feel the most comfortable! Hope that helps and best of luck with your move.

Buying or Selling a Home

Diann Tonnesen

I have over 25 years of experience in real estate in Las Vegas. I can answer almost any specific question about buying or selling homes, condos, high rise properties or land in the State of Nevada as well as general real estate questions that pertain to the industry as a whole. I can also answer questions related to financing on FHA and VA loans, conventional loans, interest only loans, stated income loans, and hard money lending. You can also go to my site at which has lots of information on it as well.

With my husband I have been helping families call Las Vegas home for over 23 years and I still love it! We developed a strong niche in the Internet industry and had to start a team of agents to respond to the large volume of calls we were getting. Currently we have 18 full time agents, a sales manager, two leads managers and two transaction coordinators assisting us. Last year we helped over 280 families and investors find property in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas Board of Realtors and the National Association of Realtors

PR Web, Las Vegas Review Journal, and interviewed for numerous magazines as well as a broadcast interview for television by CNN.

college journalism major

Top agent in the state of Nevada for sales multiple years when working for Century 21 and last year one of the top 10 agents in the country with Prudential.

Just too many great clients to mention here, but I can certainly provide a long list of references on request. Or check out our web sites at:

Las Vegas Real Estate
Las Vegas Condos
Henderson Real Estate
Las Vegas Golf Course Homes