Buying or Selling a Home/Going from renting a house to selling it

Dear Mr. Lewis,

First of all, thank you very much for volunteering on this site!

Brief background:   We were trying to sell a house in Louisiana for a while but since we couldn't, we decided to rent it.  The sales agent passed us onto their property mgt section.  Through them we rented our house out.  -   The contract we have w/the rental agent only specifies the amount of rent, nothing about option to buy.  

Q: Should the renter want to buy our house, would the renting agent - whom we hired - have any right to any commission?

Q:  Am I under any obligation to retain my rental agent for any period of time?   In other words, after they found a renter (who appears to have a rental agent as well) for us, what sort of obligation - if any - do I have to them?  Right now they are getting 10% of the rent.

Q: Under what circumstances would it be OK for me to make direct contact with the renters?   

Once again, thank you very much for volunteering on this site!  
Pablo Durissimo

Lotta answers here, mostly depending on what contracts you signed with your agent.

Typically, here in Florida, once an agent procures a tenant they get paid and that's it, the tenant is yours. Per chance you are having the agent manage the property, they collect the rent, maintain the house and so forth. Different deal. Read the agreements....

Retention of the agent depends on the contract you signed and the circumstance  in paragraph 2.

Again, depending on the answer to paragraph 2, you may contract the tenant and ask if they want to buy....

Buying or Selling a Home

Ted Lewis

Can answer most any residential real estate question and more specifically questions about South Florida Real Estate. Massachusetts Real Estate Broker, Massachusetts Construction Supervisor and Florida Real Estate Broker. Have personally owned and sold hundreds of homes and at one time owned and managed 100's of apartment and well as did condominium conversions.

Homes, condos, construction, real estate law, apartment ownership. Can refer buyers and sellers to capable agents in South Florida -- am not actively seeking clients for my own account.

Many education courses in regards to Real Estate and Banking. Attended Harvard and Princeton Universities.