Buying or Selling a Home/Going from renting a house to selling it

First of all, thank you very much for volunteering on this site!

Brief background:   We were trying to sell a house in Louisiana for a while but since we couldn't, we decided to rent it.  The sales agent passed us onto their property mgt section.  Through them we rented our house out.  -   The contract we have w/the rental agent only specifies the amount of rent, nothing about option to buy.  

Q: Should the renter want to buy our house, would the renting agent - whom we hired - have any right to any commission?

Q:  Am I under any obligation to retain my rental agent for any period of time?   In other words, after they found a renter (who appears to have a rental agent as well) for us, what sort of obligation - if any - do I have to them?  Right now they are getting 10% of the rent.

Q: Under what circumstances would it be OK for me to make direct contact with the renters?   

Once again, thank you very much for volunteering on this site!  
Pablo Durissimo  

PS:  I am also interested in buying a house in Las Vegas and would like to know more about the opportunities there...

Hi Pablo,

I wish I could answer your questions, but all of them depend on what is in the contract that you signed with the property management company, and also may be subject to local/state regulations. For example, in Las Vegas the contract used by our local Board of Realtors includes the right for the agent to earn a commission for both leasing AND/OR selling a property within a specific time period. (Even if you found your own buyer, your property management agent would be due a commission if you sold it during the contract period.)

If the contract only covers leasing the property, it may well be that you can sell the property to whomever you like, whenever you'd like. However, if in doubt, consult an attorney in Louisiana first before you do anything else! It shouldn't take them long to read over the agreement and give you solid advice on your rights and the rights of your agent.

As far as buying a home in Las Vegas, THAT I can help you with! :) Feel free to email me at with any questions you might have about our market. If you can give me some idea of what type of property you are looking for and a price range, I can hand pick some good examples to get you started. (If you are looking for rental property, Las Vegas is considered one of the most landlord friendly cities in the country.)

Hope that helps and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Buying or Selling a Home

Diann Tonnesen

I have over 25 years of experience in real estate in Las Vegas. I can answer almost any specific question about buying or selling homes, condos, high rise properties or land in the State of Nevada as well as general real estate questions that pertain to the industry as a whole. I can also answer questions related to financing on FHA and VA loans, conventional loans, interest only loans, stated income loans, and hard money lending. You can also go to my site at which has lots of information on it as well.

With my husband I have been helping families call Las Vegas home for over 23 years and I still love it! We developed a strong niche in the Internet industry and had to start a team of agents to respond to the large volume of calls we were getting. Currently we have 18 full time agents, a sales manager, two leads managers and two transaction coordinators assisting us. Last year we helped over 280 families and investors find property in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas Board of Realtors and the National Association of Realtors

PR Web, Las Vegas Review Journal, and interviewed for numerous magazines as well as a broadcast interview for television by CNN.

college journalism major

Top agent in the state of Nevada for sales multiple years when working for Century 21 and last year one of the top 10 agents in the country with Prudential.

Just too many great clients to mention here, but I can certainly provide a long list of references on request. Or check out our web sites at:

Las Vegas Real Estate
Las Vegas Condos
Henderson Real Estate
Las Vegas Golf Course Homes