Buying or Selling a Home/Mortgage Lender question?

Question
Good morning, Ms. Kostelic! You might remember I asked you some questions a few days ago about mortgage lending and home buying. I have another question, if you don't mind.

Should I get preapproved for a mortgage from multiple lenders? Do you think that is a smart choice? I don't want them thinking I am not serious but I want to compare options as well.

Answer
Hey Susan,

Yes, you should definitely get a pre-approval from 2-3 lenders!  If you collect them all within a "reasonable amount of time" (say 30 days or so) credit rating companies say they will count as one 'hit' to your credit.  So don't be afraid that if you go to more than one bank and they pull your credit this will hurt your credit score.  

You want to get an estimate of their fees up front so you can compare the offers; don't focus solely on the rate as other costs such as origination fees, etc can really make a big impact.

Hope this helps; happy hunting!

Kerrin

Buying or Selling a Home

Kerrin Kostelic, FL Broker Associate, GRI, AHWD