Buying or Selling a Home/Mortgage Lender question?

Question
Good morning, Ms. Bryan! You might remember that I asked you some questions a few days ago about mortgage lending and home buying. I have another question, if you don't mind.

Should I get preapproved for a mortgage from multiple lenders? Do you think that is a smart choice? I don't want them thinking I am not serious but I want to compare options as well.

Answer
Hi Miss Susan;
Getting pre-approved  is not necessary to explore your options. A pre-approval will require a loan application and credit report which you probably don't want to do (or pay for) too many times. You can talk to several lenders and ask about their programs but when you decide who has the best loan for you, have them pull your credit report and get you a pre-approval by having you fill out a loan application and review the file.  A pre-approval is different from a pre-qualification.  A pre-approval says that the lender has reviewed the application and your credit report and that you are not only qualified but can get the loan (which is still subject to certain conditions and approval by the underwriters).

If you want to shop around, be clear with the lender that this is what you will be doing so that they will not charge you anything until you are ready to commit with them. It is a common practice so don't worry that they will perceive you as not serious.

I hope that this helps.
Warm Regards and best wishes,
Jessica Bryan
Managing Broker, House to Home Realty Services

Buying or Selling a Home

Jessica Bryan