Buying or Selling a Home/Non-traditional stain colors on log homes and resale

In advance, I thank you for your time and assistance.  My husband and I just purchased a log cabin/home and he would like to stain the exterior a blue or green color and the interior a very light grey and possibly blue on some interior portions.  I spoke with a staff member of a company that sells stain specifically for log homes and he said that 90% or more customers purchase more traditional brown colors or clear for both the exterior and interior.  Will using the blue or green stain on the exterior negatively affect resale value?  Similarly, will using the grey or blue stain on the interior negatively affect the resale vale?  We are not certain at this point whether we will be there for just a few years or indefinitely.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.

Hello Katie,
I live in the North Georgia area.  We have a very large number of log sided and full log homes here.  To be perfectly honest, I don't think I have ever seen a blue or green exterior, but have seen both grey/tan exteriors and tan/grey interiors. These are frequently not true stains because of opacity and I don't think they can be undone readily. My best bet is "Yes", it would negatively affect resale because you are limiting buyers.  The general expectation is that a log home will look like logs.  You are betting on finding someone who has the exact same taste as you.  Plus if you do the exterior or interior that way, I suspect that changing it back to a natural would be an expensive proposition. Even if I liked it I wouldn't buy it because of my limited sale possibilities if I had to sell.  I'd say "Very interesting" and move on.
Additionally if you've checked the prices on stains, you now know that good ones are expensive.  Since putting the stain on isn't cheap(Brushing it on gives the best results), I sure wouldn't want to do it more than I had to.
Does that help?  

Buying or Selling a Home

Sharon Huneycutt, Realtor, Associate Broker, GRI, e-PRO

A lot of people who want to move to the mountains don't really realize what it might involve. For instance, here in North Georgia, if you want a mountain view, you may have to drive up very steep roads. Will you have well water (That's usually good!)? Do you speak septic tanks? Have you considered that if you want really want to get away from it all, you'll do it on a gravel road? What's difference between a Log home and a Log Sided home? How can I tell? Who takes care of the house when you're not there? Where can you stay to check it out? This is a very popular area for second homes and investment properties or when you finally decide to get way from it all, I can find your perfect property. I can answer questions on North Georgia Mountain living, housing, land, amenities, and activities. We handle a lot of foreclosed properties in our office so I have become a Certified REO Specialist. REO means Real Estate Owned and is the industry name for a Foreclosure. It refers to "owned by a bank or other corporate entity". If it involves an area of expertise I don't have, I can probably tell you what kind of an expert you do need.

We've had property in the Ellijay area for over 10 years. My husband, who is a Civil Engineer and Appraiser, and I built our own log home. We researched log homes and North Georgia for three years before choosing Ellijay. Because of the building experience and being married to an engineer/appraiser, my real estate experience is a bit more extensive than average. I also am an education freak believing that the more you know, the better off you are. My husband and I both like photography, so we drive and hike all over the mountains looking for pictures.

MHA, CMA, Licensed Realtor, Associate Broker, e-PRO, GRI, Certified REO Specialist. Realtors are required to have 24 hours of continuing education every 4 years. In the last three years, I have 180 hours so far!